Seagate Technology (NASDAQ: STX) the share price has more than doubled from $39 at the end of 2018 to over $80 currently, mainly due to the favorable development of its P/S multiple. During this period, the company saw only an 8% increase in revenue, but a substantial drop in the number of shares outstanding helped boost earnings per share and the stock price by the society. Additionally, over the same period, the S&P 500 has returned around 65%, meaning Seagate stock has managed to strongly outperform the broader markets.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Seagate Technology Stock Moved: STX Stock Gained 109% Since 2018we break down the factors driving this movement.
(A) Seagate’s total revenue increased 7.7% from $11.2 billion in fiscal year 2018 to $12 billion on an LTM basis
- Seagate’s total revenue initially fell from $11.2 billion in fiscal year 2018 to $10.5 billion in fiscal year 2020, as sales volume grew more slowly than growth. lower cost per bit of its memory products (Seagate’s fiscal year ends in June).
- However, sales have gradually recovered to $10.7 billion in fiscal 2021 and currently stand at $12 billion on an LTM basis.
- While Seagate presents its business under one operating segment, it is interesting to note that almost 50% of its sales come from Singapore, with the United States and the Netherlands making up the bulk of the rest.
- For more details on Seagate’s earnings and peer comparison, check out Seagate Technology (STX) Revenue Comparison
(B) Earnings per share (EPS) increased by 43% from $38.79 in 2018 to $55.36 currently
- Seagate’s revenue has fallen from $11.2 billion in 2018 to $12 billion currently, while the number of shares outstanding has shrunk at a rapid rate, from 288 million in 2018 to less than 220 million currently. .
- Because of this, the RPS has gone from $38.79 in fiscal year 2018 to $55.36 currently.
(C) Seagate Technology’s price-to-sales (P/S) ratio rose sharply from 0.7x in 2018 to 2.3x at the end of 2021, but fell back to 1.5x currently, still more than 2x above its 2018 level
- Seagate’s P/S multiple rose sharply to around 2.3x at the end of 2021, driven by rising investor expectations for growth in demand for memory products.
- However, due to ongoing geopolitical tensions and heightened economic uncertainty weighing on broader markets, the P/S multiple has retreated, currently standing at around 1.5x.
- For more details on the company’s stock returns and comparison with its peers, see Comparison of Seagate Technology (STX) stock returns.
What if you were looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have consistently beaten the market since late 2016.
|S&P 500 return||-3%||-16%||79%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||-6%||-22%||205%|
 Monthly and cumulative total as of 10/5/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Wallets that beat the market
See everything Trefis Price Estimates